Sep 5, 2012

Insert Clever Title Here

So, I thought it would be clever to try and tie this review into the Paralympics, but the long weeks of shift work have rendered me unable to be creative. I've got nothing, people.

Ok, I DO have a review of not one but TWO bars. And thanks to the generosity of my little sister, I have two bars from Central America. Exotic guest review, here we come!

So the two bars that made it back from Nicole's Central American adventure are the wonderfully named Huevitos from Ecuador and Canonazo from Paraguay. And they almost even came back without having been completely melted and reformed in this adorably labeled ziploc bag:

So, the Canonzado is a round bar that kind of looks like the fake logs that take you around a log ride in any amusement park. It's a multi-layered affair, with a layer of crispy rice-studded chocolate wrapped around a tube-shaped cookie layer, all filled with soft chocolate cream. It's like what you would get if you rolled a Crunch bar out flat and wrapped it around one of those chocolate-filled wafer straws you get in the Pepperidge Farm cookie variety pack at Christmas.

Unfortunately, it doesn't actually taste as good as that would suggest. The cookie tube is really dry and the chocolate (both within and without) is pretty tasteless. This is an interesting concept, but doesn't really deliver. No bars.

Next up - Huevitos. Even those of you with the most rudimentary grasp of Spanish (myself included) will recognize that the name means something little and cute. And it delivers, with four little chocolate covered balls (not unlike chocolate-frosted donut holes from Entemann's) inside the wrapper. The Huevitos (little eggs!) also go for the layered effect, wrapping a chewy marshmallow center in a thin layer of something between honeycomb and wafer, covering it all in chocolate. 

Again, this is somewhat of a disappointment despite all the variety it provides - the honeycomb/wafer is a little dry, which kinda takes away from the overall experience. However, I find that I can't stop popping these little chocolate eggs into my mouth because of the crack-like (I only can imagine, Mom, I have never taken drugs) hit of sweetness from the marshmallow in the middle. So sugary, so chewy! Plus, they're fun to eat. However, if asked if they were GOOD, I'd probably say no. 2 bars for the sheer joy of eating.

Two fails, then. Much like the zero medal count from both Ecuador and Paraguay in the Paralympics, so far (do they even have athletes competing?). Perhaps central America should stay away from candy bars and simply devote their energies to making delicious food instead, which I will continue to devour with relish.  

Overall? 1 bar. Ouch. Better luck next time.

Bar-o-Meter


No comments: