Mar 6, 2011

Chocolate Simplicity

Friday went by in a fog (see previous post), but I DID manage to pick up a new chocolate bar for the weekly post. (I am nothing if not dedicated to my culinary pursuits.) I think I've hit the Cadbury motherlode as this week's bar is a Wispa.
A bit of background here: Introduced to the UK in 1981 (good year), the Wispa was discontinued in 2003 when Cadbury looked to revamp its line. But the public protested on behalf of the bar, and in 2008, an internet campaign brought it back! (Morgan - and Wikipedia - are of the opinion that the entire "campaign" was a conspiracy by Cadbury to drum up interest, which in my opinion makes the story that much better.) In any case, the Wispa appears to be back to stay, and a good thing it is!
On first glance, it appears very plain - just a lightly aerated chocolate center (which kinda resembles coral) covered in a layer of milk chocolate. But when you bite into the bar, it's so light and fluffy, it somehow manages to taste better and creamier than regular milk chocolate. So simple, yet so tasty! I'm not generally a big fan of milk chocolate, but this is delicious (and, incidentally, my best value for money so far, at a mere 45 pence for the bar). The Wispa is well worth the many recommendations I've gotten so far, and fully deserving of a comeback (staged or not).

Three bars! (would have had more if we were talking about dark chocolate, but hey - can't win 'em all)


Bar-o-Meter


1 comment:

Erin said...

Adam and I were in the british imports section of a local higher-end grocery yesterday and came across this foolishness: http://www.flickr.com/photos/redfive99/5500980209